SMARTS Club Programs for Young Engineers
Young Engineers Club: STEM Education in After School programs
Delivering STEM Education Through Robotics
Need for STEM Education STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math based education for kids. Schools can’t tackle this issue by themselves. Nearly 80% of future careers will require some STEM skills. A stimulating STEM education is essential for developing the analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills central to academic achievement and workforce readiness in the 21st century.
What is Young Engineers Club? Young Engineers club is an initiative by SMARTS Club which encourages kids’ participation in STEM and Robotics. After School programs offer both additional time and the opportunity to diversify the ways that students experience STEM learning. After School care programs complement and supplement school-day learning and are well-positioned to engage and motivate participants. By offering innovative hands-on, project-based learning, STEM fields come alive for youth.
Benefits of STEM Education
- Think creatively to make a working model
- Develop vocabulary and communication skills to explain how the model works
- Establish links between cause and effect
- Reflect on how to find answers and imagine new possibilities
- Brainstorm ideas and endeavor to bring some of them to fruition
- Make fair tests by changing one factor and observing or measuring the effect
- Make systematic observations and measurements
- Display and communicate data using tables
- Follow 2D drawings to build a 3D model
- Think logically and create a program to produce a specific behavior
- Write and present creative stories using models for visual and dramatic effects
How does it help my Kid?
- Entices kids to think like scientists and engineers
- Provides a fun, creative, hands-on learning experience
- Teaches kids to experiment and overcome obstacles
- Builds self-esteem and confidence
- Inspires kids to participate in science and technology
- STEM is multi disciplinary and prepares kids for future roles.
- Help kids in becoming problem solvers and self learners.
Young Engineers Club Curriculum The Club is based on the Young Engineers and Education Curriculum provided by Museum of Science, Boston and Lego Education. Kids are given a task to build a project based on the theme as a team. The materials are supplied and the instructor provides guidance to the team by making them understand the underlying scientific principles. Sessions are a mix of engineering projects and robotics which involves simple tasks and are age appropriate.
STEM based projects for kids
- Simple machines
- Sensors and senses
- Circuits and switches
- Matter matters
- Building bridges
- Color science
- Space shuttles
- Wind mills
All the materials and science kits used are inspected for child safety.
Training for Lego Leagues We provide training for participation in Lego leagues focused on building an interest in science and engineering for children ages 6-9, Junior FIRST® LEGO® League (Jr. FLL®) and FLL 9-14 are hands-on programs designed to capture young children’s curiosity and direct it toward discovering how science and technology impact the world around them. This program features a real-world challenge, to be explored through research, critical thinking and imagination. Guided by experienced coaches and the Core Values, team members work with LEGO elements and motorized parts to build ideas and concepts and present them for review.
Elementary STEM Programs
In today’s world, it seems all students need to be equipped with STEM knowledge and the creative problem-solving skills necessary to be innovative and creative thinkers. With our STEM-focused solutions, we seek to create environments where learning happens in a hands-on and motivational way – helping students discover their talents and cement learning from the core classroom.
- Simple Machines: With LEGO Education Simple Machines solutions, students get an in-depth understanding of mechanical and structural principles built into everyday machines. By building, designing, and testing solutions, students work as young scientists and engineers, all while honing design technology, science, and math skills.
- LEGO Education WeDo: Designed for children ages seven and up, WeDo is a learning solution that blends hands-on manipulatives with integrated technology and curriculum to create a minds-on experience where problem solving is at the forefront. The project-based activities help build science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) knowledge while incorporating lessons in language arts. Working in pairs, your learners will build models and then use the intuitive software program to bring them to life. WeDo is considered an introductory robotics platform that can help prepare elementary students for working with LEGO MINDSTORMS® Education EV3, a platform intended for middle schoolers.
You can let the learning fun continue all year long by enrolling your child in our award winning Frisco After School Program or any of our academic classes including tutoring in all subjects, STAAR, cogAT, ACT, ITBS, and SAT Prep or extracurricular activities such as Chess, Robotics, Bollywood Dancing and Kids Yoga. We have two locations in Frisco and for your convenience we also offer all our academic programs online!
Contact us to find out about current discount offering on our programs. Based on testimonials from parents and pupils, you would love our premier programs, competitive fee structure and customer focus with your child in mind who would simply adore our kid friendly environment! Enroll your child today and watch the test scores go up!