Recently I have received inquiries from the parents of preschool age kids who are still unable to read and blend sounds and say the words. I believe that mostly as parents, caregivers or teachers there are small rituals or techniques that can be utilized to ease kids into recognizing letters with the sound and blending them to say as a word. Teaching the three Ps : phonemes, phonetics and phonics is also important for young kids to start recognizing the sounds and the blends to say the word. There are endless resources like sight words, Dolch words, word families, diagraph blends to teach kids when they start to read.
However even before using these resources there are ways that can be used with the kids to introduce reading tutoring as early as 2-3 years. Most of the strategies I have used personally with my daughter who was pretend reading by three and she started reading on her own before she was four.
Here are some ways you can help your child “get ready to read” during ages of 2 and 3.
- Read with your child every day, even if it’s only for a few minutes
- Encourage your child to bring his favorite books to me so that we can read together
- Point to pictures and name them out loud, and encourage your child to point to pictures while we read
- Watch to see if your child sometimes makes eye contact with you when I read aloud. That tells you she is paying attention to you and the story.
- Talk to your child throughout the day about things that are happening around you
- Be patient when your child wants to read the same book over and over again.
- Encourage your child to “play” with books-pick them up, flip them from front to back, and turn the pages.
- Listen when your child “pretends” to read a book-he holds the book, goes from page to page, and says words, even though they’re not the words on the page.
- Give your child paper and crayons so she can scribble, make pictures, and pretend to write.
- Make a special reading place for your kid in your house with his favorite things around.
- Take your young child to the public library to let her explore books and make that an enjoyable experience by inviting other moms and kids
Our premier preschool program deploys these and many other techniques and strategies to help your child succeed.
You can let the learning fun continue all year long by enrolling your child into our award winning Frisco After School care Program or any of our academic classes or extracurricular activities including STAAR, cogAT, ACT, ITBS, and SAT Prep. We have locations in Frisco and Plano and for your convenience we also offer all our academic programs online! Enroll your child today and watch their test scores go up!
- Category: After School Program Children Competition Critical Thinking Frisco After school care Frisco After School care programs Frisco Math Tutoring Frisco Math Tutoring Center Frisco Math Tutoring Programs frisco reading tutoring frisco reading tutors Kids Yoga Parents Preschool Reading reading tutoring reading tutoring in frisco reading tutors Spelling Bee STAAR Tutoring Vocabulary Writing