Top 5 Reading STAAR Strategies for grades 3-8
- Read the title, skim and scan for graphs, tables, photos, and captions. and make a prediction about the genre of the passage.
- Skim through questions to determine what the questions are asking. Circle key words in each question and label the skill you are going to use.
( Skills are setting, summary, context clues, sequence of events, main idea, infer, author’s purpose, fact & opinion, details, feelings and emotions)
- Read the selection one paragraph at a time and stop and make a note about what it is mainly about.
- Find the answer to the questions in the selection and highlight the evidence. Cross out the answers that you know are incorrect. Make sure you bubble the right answer.
- Write the paragraph/sentence number where you found the answer next to the question this will help in reviewing your answers at the end of the test.